disklabel compatibility
Charles Dickman
2014-04-28 12:58:18 UTC
I have a VS4000/60 that has NetBSD 6.0.1 and I wanted to install a
different version on another partition. When I netboot an install
system for versions other than 6.0.1, disklabel doesn't recognize the
label on the disk and presents the faked label with only partition c
that covers the whole disk.

I know that there were some recent changes to allow more partions, but
this happens not only with 6.1.4, but also 5.0.1 and 2.x.

-chuck
Martin Husemann
2014-04-28 13:45:15 UTC
Post by Charles Dickman
I have a VS4000/60 that has NetBSD 6.0.1 and I wanted to install a
different version on another partition.
How many partitions does disklabel offer you (or: what value does
/usr/include/vax/disklabel.h define MAXPARTITIONS to)?

I think 6.0.1 has 16 there, which is wrong.

If so, you'd need to update to something newer on that branch and edit
the disklabel once, after that it should be ok again.

Martin
David Brownlee
Martin
Martin Husemann
2014-04-28 18:19:52 UTC
Post by David Brownlee
Was the fix (for my 16 MAXPARTITIONS botch) down to 12 pulled up into netbsd-6?
Yes.

Martin
Charles Dickman
2014-04-28 20:38:17 UTC
The uncooperative label says 16 partitions but only shows the 8 that I am using.

I used 6.0.5 to edit the label and I did make a change to it, but I
still can't read the label with anything but the 6.0 line.
Charles Dickman
2014-04-29 01:15:09 UTC
I tried to recreate the disklabel with 6.1.4 and this time it did not
like that the label had 16 partitions. I changed the number to 8 and
it wrote it fine and now can read it.

Now that I see David Brownlee's message I could have fixed it directly
from 6.0.4 (and maybe 6.0.1) by changing the number of partitions.
There was no indication of what was wrong with the label though.

-chuck