-current / netbsd-7 kernel hanging
John Klos
2014-08-12 21:04:18 UTC

I'm trying to boot netbsd-7 from today's sources on a VAXstation 4000/60.
First, I booted a netbsd-7 kernel compiled from yesterday's sources while
mounting the existing netbsd-6 userland. I then proceeded to untargzip
netbsd-7 built sets over the netbsd-6 userland, although it didn't get
past base.tgz because it started complaining about illegal instructions. I
finished the upgrade using /rescue/, then rebooted.

On reboot, it got to:

root on sd0e dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs

...and hung.

I then set up a MOP server and NFS export, then tried booting a newly
built kernel:

boot device: le0
root on le0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: DHCP next-server: 10.12.25.55
nfs_boot: my_domain=dksdonuts.com
nfs_boot: my_addr=10.12.25.66
nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.255.0
nfs_boot: gateway=10.12.25.1
root on 10.12.25.55:/exports/vax
root file system type: nfs

...and it hung. I tried the same thing with a completely GENERIC kernel
and got the same thing. I then tried the same thing with a -current kernel
from today's sources, and got the same thing.

Ideas? Suggestions?

John Klos
David Brownlee
2014-08-13 11:17:10 UTC
Post by John Klos
Hi,
[...]
The illegal instructions are somewhat odd - it implies the 7 kernel is
not able to run the 7 binaries. Is it absolutely certain its a 7
kernel?

An alternate option might be to extract the 7 sets on the server and retest...
John Klos
2014-08-13 16:23:20 UTC
Post by David Brownlee
The illegal instructions are somewhat odd - it implies the 7 kernel is
not able to run the 7 binaries. Is it absolutely certain its a 7
kernel?
An alternate option might be to extract the 7 sets on the server and retest...
The NFS root was all netbsd-7.

John
David Brownlee
Ah. Does the INSTALL kernel with embedded memory disk boot?
Martin Husemann
2014-08-13 16:32:23 UTC
Post by David Brownlee
Ah. Does the INSTALL kernel with embedded memory disk boot?
For me a current kernel does not boot at all, it shows decoding errors
from lkms0 and hangs. I'll check...

Martin
Martin Husemann
2014-08-14 06:41:36 UTC
... and simh hangs when mounting / on the install CD.

Martin
Martin Husemann
2014-08-14 09:09:59 UTC
And with a patch to kern/subr_prf.c discussed on port-sparc64 my (real)
VAX boots again:

# uname -a
NetBSD dead-to-the-world.duskware.de 7.99.1 NetBSD 7.99.1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Aug$

So this is fallout from last weekends changes, should be fixed soon.

Martin
Martin Husemann
2014-08-15 06:29:15 UTC
And to complete the story: userland does not work at all; all dynamic binaries
dump core.

So: better do not update yet ,-)

Martin
Martin Husemann
2014-08-18 06:23:27 UTC
Matt Thomas fixed it, -current is working fine again (and netbsd-7 will
be fixed soon).

Martin

Martin Husemann
2014-08-14 14:35:58 UTC
Are you suggesting that there is a simh issue here (i.e. that it
behave differently than real hardware)?
No, the patch under discussion is the essential part - failure mode is
apparently different depending on exact hardware. Others have seen the
same failure I saw with SIMH on real hardware, so everything is fine.

Martin
Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm
2014-08-14 14:23:55 UTC
Post by Martin Husemann
... and simh hangs when mounting / on the install CD.
# uname -a
NetBSD dead-to-the-world.duskware.de 7.99.1 NetBSD 7.99.1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Aug$
So this is fallout from last weekends changes, should be fixed soon.
Hi Martin,

Are you suggesting that there is a simh issue here (i.e. that it behave differently than real hardware)?

If so, I'll be glad to fix it. Please contact me directly and we can exchange details to reproduce the problem.

Thanks.

- Mark